- BOTANICAL NAME: Acer buergeranum
- PRONUNCIATION: A-ser
- COMMON NAME: Nikko Maple
- FAMILY: Aceraceae
- NATIVITY: Japan and central China.
- GROWTH HABIT: Slowly growing vase shape tree, round-headed 20 to 30' tall.
- HARDINESS: USDA Zones (4)5 - 7.
- OPTIMUM GROWING CONDITIONS: Prefers well-drained, moist soils.
- LANDSCAPE VALUE: Good tree for small residential lots. Street tree.
Deserves more use.
- FOLIAGE:Opposite, trifoliate compound leaf, 2 to 5" long, ovate to elliptic oblong shape, acute apex. Yellow, red , purple color in fall.
- BUDS: Imbricate pyramid shape scales cover the buds.
- Flower: Yellow color, 1/2" diameter, usually 3 together on drooping pedicels in May
- FRUIT:Thick densely pubescent samara with 1 to 2" long upright wing.