Named in honor of Dr. Charles Dunham who taught at the University from 1954 to 1984, and who co-founded the UDBG with Dr. Richard Lighty (the first Director of the Mt. Cuba Center), this garden provides a shady and restful spot. Designed by Landscape Architect and former UD Professor Gary Smith, the multi-layered plantings include several hollies and magnolias, two of Dr. Dunham’s favorite groups of plants. The generosity of the many nurseries that donated plants for the establishment of this garden is a tribute to Dr. Dunham's involvement in plant societies, collaboration with the nursery industry, and role as an educator to the many students that he taught and mentored during his 30-year academic career. The gazebo serves as a landmark to visitors and contains a large map for orientation and UDBG brochures.