ELECTRICAL SAFETY QUIZ

BELIEF #4:

A PET THAT CHEWS ON AN ELECTRICAL CORD CAN GET ELECTROCUTED.

Yes. But a shock is more likely. "A pet that sinks its teeth into the 'neutral' and 'hot' portions of a two-wire cord would probably burn its mouth or get a little shock," says Reuben. But if an animal chews through just the hot wire, and the animal is lying on a metal heating register cover&emdash;or another conducting source&emdash;then electrocution could happen, according to Reuben. But in some cases, pets can die without being grounded.

This shocking experience gave an unfortunate jolt&emdash;twice&emdash;to Jay Perry of Arlington Heights, Ill. His 4-month-old Shetland Sheepdog was quietly chewing on an extension cord connected to a lamp when Perry entered a bedroom and flipped it on. There was a horrible yelp. Perry used his CPR training to revive the puppy, then rushed him to an emergency vet. A few months later, the dog went after a radio cord. "He just hadn't learned," says Perry. "We rushed him to the vet again, but this time he didn't make it.

"Interestingly enough, my wife and I later rearranged our living room and discovered that he had also chewed up speaker wires and other cords all over the place."

Back to quiz

 

Adapted from "Shocking Truths About Electricity In The Home" by Mick Hans.

Family Safety and Health, Winter 1992-1993. 

Thanks to Ken Lomax for the info.

October Safety Poster

Posted 10/99