#2: YOU CAN GET
A SHOCK FROM STICKING A METAL UTENSIL INTO A
YOU CAN GET A SHOCK FROM STICKING A METAL UTENSIL INTO A TOASTER.
Yes. But it doesn't mean you will. To risk a shock-or worse, electrocution- you would need to be standing on or holding onto a surface that can conduct. Surfaces that can conduct include not only metal, but also such surfaces as a wooden floor. Basically you become a ground wire, or a receptor, for the energy that could potentially flow through the fork or knife.
The solution here is obvious. Next time a bagel gets stuck, unplug the appliance before plunging in. Or use wooden or plastic tongs to retrieve your toast.
Back to quiz
Family Safety and Health, Winter 1992-1993.
Thanks to Ken Lomax for the info.
Poster Posted 10/99
October Safety Poster