Department of Plant and Soil Sciences

Laboratory Safety Committee

Meeting Minutes

   Laboratory Inspections  |  Chemical Inventories  |  RTK/CHP Training  | Home

 

Robin Elliott Announcements

Spring 00 Minutes

Winter 99 Minutes

Fall 99 Minutes

Summer 99 Minutes

Spring 99 Minutes

Fall 98 Minutes

Summer 98 Minutes

Spring 98 Minutes

Winter 97 Minutes

Fall 97 Minutes

Summer 97 Minutes

Spring 97 Minutes

Winter 96 Minutes

Fall 96 Minutes

Summer 2000 June 14, 2000

Attendees: Yuji Arai, Karen Gartley, Gerald Hendricks, Chair, and Lucille Short. Robin Elliott from OHS.

Absent:. Caroline Golt, Allan Shapiro.

The meeting was called to order by Gerald Hendricks at 1:35.

Lab signs in 150 and 151 are being done. Signage is still needed for 208 WOR and 307 WOR which is shared by Plant and Soil Sciences and Animal Science.

Greenhouse Cold Room: Entomology does not use the room enough to warrant their being responsible for it. Maria Pautler, of our Department has agreed to take on the responsibility. Her name and number is already posted and she will check it periodically and keep it clean.

Fire Drill: A fire drill was held on April 20, 2000. It was recommended that a specific meeting place be assigned with a roll call to keep track of people. Although it is not possible to have an exact count, people should be aware of who was in the building.

Another concern was the furniture in the hallways on the 2nd and 3rd floor of Worrilow Hall. It was suggested that each department of the College rotate the responsibility of conducting the fire drills.

Lab Inspections: Not all of the assigned inspections have been completed. Jerry will do follow up on this.

Also, Doug Ware, a Committee member, will be leaving the University. A replacement needs to be recruited.

PLSC Audit Report: The Department needs to review the report, noting where improvements need to be made with appropriate completion dates. Inspections should be completed by July 15. When doing inspections, ask people about the audit process itself.

Robin Elliott will then do a follow-up.

Two accidents occurred since the last meeting. Both were investigated and reported properly. It was suggested that a group safety training session be held and include the accident reporting procedure. Also, a monthly check could be done to see who needs re-training (after 12 months) and a reminder sent to them.

Safety Poster Topic Suggestions: Accident Reporting; Heat Stress; Cell Phone Safety;

A University safety policy to address lightning safety (in large open areas, e.g., stadium) is being developed.

The University will continue to monitor the water supply. OHS has obtained funding for water testing twice a year.

The University OHS WEB Page received an award from the National Safety Council.

The next meeting of the Safety Committee will be Wednesday, September 6, at 1:30 PM with the location to be announced.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:40 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Lucille Short