Carvel Research & Education Center Home to Sussex County Cooperative Extension

About Carvel


In 1941, the Delaware General Assembly passed an act to provide for the establishment of an agricultural substation for lower Delaware. On August 30, 1941, the John A. Tyndall farm (consisting of 310 acres, 200 of which were suitable for horticultural research) was purchased at public auction. In 1983 an additional 37 acres of cropland was purchased. The Research and Education Center (renamed in 1985) is an integral unit of the University of Delaware Agricultural Experiment Station.

The 26,000 square-foot facility, adjacent to the Lasher Laboratory for Poultry Diagnostics was officially opened to the public in February, 2006.

Original REC Building

Substation from 1942

In 1941, the Delaware General Assembly passed an act to provide for the establishment of an agricultural substation for lower Delaware. The first structure at the new Substation in 1942. This building is still in use as office space.


The facility's staff is responsible for conducting Cooperative Extension and Research Programs in the areas of: Agronomic and Vegetable Crop Production; Farm and Youth Safety; 4-H; Family and Consumer Sciences; Poultry Research and Diagnostic Programs; Master Gardener Education programs; Ornamental Horticulture; Water Quality and Nutrient Management; Expanded Food and Nutrition Programs; and Economic and Community Development. All of these programs are aimed at improving the quality of life through the transfer of research-based information to the consumer. 2011 marked our first five years as the Elbert N. & Ann V. Carvel Research and Education Center - with an overall service to our community for 70 years! Read about us here!