Applied Economics & Statistics | Faculty
Pat Tanner Nelson
*A review of Kuczynski, Leon, (Ed.) Handbook of Dynamics in Parent-Child Relations, in Family Relations. (January, 2006) Vol. 55, p. 149.
Working paper for the National Extension Family and Consumer Sciences Parenting Evaluation Task Force, 2005
*Walker, S. & Nelson, P.T. (2004). Effective parenting education through age-paced newsletters. Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences, 96(4), 67-68.
*An Aging Population: The Challenges and the Opportunities (2000). Journal of Family and Consumer Sciences Vol. 92, no. 2, 10-12.
Late Life/New Life: Creative Aging in Changing Families and Communities – the Groves Conference on Marriage and the Family
The Impact of Genetic Information on Families: Highlights from the Groves Conference on Families (1998).
with Linda K. Benning (National Association of State and Land-Grant Colleges), Donald Bower (University of Georgia), Sally Kees-Martin (University of Nevada), Steve Small (University of Wisconsin), Mary Temke (University of New Hampshire), Nayda Torres (University of Florida), and Shepherd Zeldin (Center for Youth Development and Policy Institute), Cooperative Extension is Helping to Build Strong Families, Competent Kids and Vital Communities, a briefing paper for legislators (1994) .
*Managing Farm Stress: Getting Through Tough Times for North Carolina State University multi-state Cooperative Extension Initiative. (1994). Five fact sheets include:
Managing Farm Stress
Farm Families: Getting through Tough Times
Personal Stress Management Techniques
Dealing with Depression
Helping Farm Youngsters Cope with Stress
*WCASA Community Partnerships. Invited chapter in Youth at Risk: The Research and Practice Interface, (1993). Proceedings of the national workshop sponsored by the Northeast Regional Center for Rural Development, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA. Publication no. 66.
*Cooperative Extension's response to the challenges of balancing work and family responsibilities. Invited chapter in Felstehausen, G. & Schultz, J. B. (editors) Work and Family: Educational Implications, the 1991 Yearbook of the American Home Economics Association Teacher Education Section, pp. 265 - 278. Peoria, IL: Macmillian/McGraw-Hill.
*with Ora Gibbs and Donald Unger (1991). Strengthening youth and family resistance to alcohol and other drug abuse. Invited article in Family Resource Coalition Report, vol. 10, no. 3.
* with Sue Couch. (1990). The corporate perspective on family responsive policy. Marriage and Family Review, 15, 95 - 113. Also published as a chapter in R.S. Hanks & M.B. Sussman (Eds.) Corporations, Businesses, and Families (pp. 95 -113). New York: The Haworth Press.
* with Donald Unger (1990). The community context of parenting: The successes and lessons learned from empowering parents of adolescents. The Journal of Applied Social Sciences, 15, 125-152.
* Involving families in substance abuse prevention. Family Relations, (July, 1989). Vol. 38, No. 3. pp. 306-310.
Families under stress: our Achilles' heel. Invited article for Partnership: A Journal for Leaders in Education, (Spring, 1989). 14: 1. University of Delaware, College of Education.
Balancing work/family responsibilities. Proceedings of the First Annual Women Administrators' Institute (1989). Document No. 95-01-88/09/03. Delaware Department of Public Instruction, Dover, DE 19901.
with S. Horton and C. Anderson. (September, 1988). Family and Economic Well-Being: A Cooperative Extension System Response. Washington, DC Extension Service - United States Department of Agriculture.
Research in brief: Graying of America. Journal of Extension (Winter, 1987).
Research in brief: Preventing adolescent drug abuse. Journal of Extension, (Summer, 1987).
Family matters....Families matter! Invited article for Partnership: A Journal for Leaders in Education (Winter, 1987) 12: 2-4. University of Delaware, College of Education.
with W. Reid. (Spring, 1987). Research in brief: The balancing act: Work and family. Journal of Extension, 34.
Research in brief: Single-parent families. Journal of Extension, 33:27 (Winter, 1986). (One of the top 25 articles -- #8 in 2006 -- being accessed at http://www.joe.org/joe/1986winter/rb2.html )
with S. Hamilton. (Winter, 1986). Research in brief: Teen Employment. Journal of Extension, 33:26. (One of the top 25 articles being accessed in 2006 at http://www.joe.org/joe/1986winter/rb1.html )
* Issues in work and family (1986). Family Strengths 7: Vital Connections. Eds. J. DeFrain, K. King, P. Knaub. Lincoln, Nebraska; University of Nebraska Press.
Helping Families Manage Work and Family Stress (September, 1986). A report requested by the Northeast State Leaders in Extension Home Economics.
Adolescents and their families: Research in brief (Summer, 1986). Journal of Extension, 31.
* Newsletters: An effective delivery mode for educating single parent families? (January, 1986) Family Relations, 35, 183-188.
* with Cudaback, D. (Summer, 1985). Catch them when you can: Extension's age-paced newsletters for parents of infants. Journal of Extension.
A review of The Caring Parent by Henry E. and Wanda Draper, (Fall, 1985). Journal of Home Economics, 53.
* with Cudaback, D., Darden, D., Labensohn, D., and Wiggins, E. (April, 1985). Becoming successful parents: Can age-paced newsletters help? Family Relations, 34, 271-74.
with Klebar, J., Cudaback, D., Nuttal, P., Bowers, D., Myers-Walls, J., Martin, D. and Lingren, H. (1984). How Effective Are Family Life Education Programs? Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press.
with Cudaback, D., Myers-Walls, J. A., Bowers, D., Edmondson, J., Lingren, H.G., Martin, D., and Nuttal, P.E. (1983). How Effective are Extension Family Life Education Programs? West Lafayette, Indiana: Purdue University, Cooperative Extension.
*with Nelson, C.W. (1981). Personal and family stress management. Journal of Home Economics. 73:34-36.
* (1981). The White House-Governor's Conference on Families. Transactions: The Proceedings of the Delaware Academy of Science, (Ed.) Suzanne Steinmetz, Newark, DE.
* with Parham, E. S. (September, 1981). Responsiveness to internal cues to hunger among young children. Home Economics Research Journal.
* with Banonis, B. (1981). Family concerns and strengths identified in Delaware's White House Conference on Families. Family Strengths: The Roots of Well Being. (Eds) N. Stinnet, J. Defrain, K. King, P. Knaub and G. Rowe. Univ. of NE Press, 1981.
* with Springer, B.D. (May-June, 1980). Extension families coping with stress. Journal of Extension 18.
Working and mothering/fathering (1980). Proceedings of the National Family Forum of the Boy Scouts of America. Irving, Texas: Boys Scouts of America.
* A review of Family Careers: Developmental Changes in Families by Joan Aldous (1980). Journal of Home Economics. 72:65.
The Family Forum Proceedings. Public Policy: It's Impact on Delaware Families and Children (1979). Urbana, Illinois: Educational Resources Information Center/Elementary Childhood Education. Partial funding from the Delaware Humanities Forum.
The Family Forum Supplement: Some Notes for Novice Conference Planners (1979). Urbana, Illinois: Educational Resources Information Center/Elementary Early Childhood Education, 1979.
Publications and materials prepared for Delaware Cooperative Extension [+]
(with Deborah J. Amsden). Growing Together: A Portfolio for New Parents, 1994; revised 1999. Published by the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services, this packet includes a developmental calendar, a health journal, and a list of resources for parent education and support. It is currently being distributed by hospitals throughout Delaware to all new parents. This portfolio has been adapted by the North Carolina Smart Start Partnership for Children program http://www.smartstart-nc.org/parentresourceguide/
Families Matter! A Curriculum for Maximizing the Role Families Play in Preventing Drug Abuse in High-Risk Youth, 1988 - 1994.
Families Matter! a videotape for training paraprofessional Family Coordinators in the Families Matter! program. Supervised Ora Gibbs and Becky Wilburn in the production of the video tape. Dennis Williams, Instructional Resource Center, provided technical direction, 1991.
Monthly columns for county Extension newsletters (in the absence of New Castle and Sussex County home economists), 1989 - 1991.